It is exciting news that the student version of HyperWorks is now available. This program truly demonstrates Altair’s commitment to enhancing students’ learning experience outside the classroom so that they can reinforce their engineering knowledge and classroom instruction.
Dr. Wei Chen, Wilson-Cook Professor in Engineering Design at Northwestern University
Finally, with the release of the HyperWorks 11.0 Student Edition
students may now – at any time and place – explore and learn more about the exciting simulation techniques involved in the “CAE Driven Design Process“.
In this process, structural optimization which encompasses topology-, topography-, size-, free size-, shape-, and free shape optimization, plays a key role. Of course, model building (preprocessing), and visualization of results (postprocessing) are also part of the process …
The HyperWorks Student Edition enables to:
• Learn more about modern model building techniques with Altair HyperMesh
• Study and employ the world leading topology-, topography-, size-, and shape optimization technology based on OptiStruct. Note, the optimization of composites is also a key discipline available with OptiStruct
• Analyze and study linear and nonlinear (material & geometry) phenomena’s with RADIOSS.
• Visualize modeling results with HyperView, HyperView Player and HyperGraph.
What you should know about the HyperWorks 11.0 Student Edition
The Student Edition is based on the newly developed HyperWorks Desktop Framework, which enables users to view preprocessing (HyperMesh) and postprocessing (HyperView and HyperGraph) information within a common and user defined graphics area.
In the Student Edition, the following HyperWorks modules are included:
Finite Element Meshing and Modeling
HyperMesh - Universal finite element pre- and post-processor
• Comprising all the superior geometry cleanup, midsurfacing, 1D-2D-3D meshing, welding and mesh parametrisation (i.e. morphing) functionalities
• Supported CAD formats: Import of IGES, SolidWorks and STEP, export of IGES
• For simple 3D models, the analysis and optimization set up may be based on a dedicated process guide. This process guide especially suites the needs of students without any FEM knowhow.
Radioss – Finite element solver for linear and non-linear problems
OptiStruct – Design and optimization software using finite elements and multi-body dynamics
Post-processing & Data Management
HyperView – High performance finite element and mechanical system post-processor, engineering plotter, and data analysis tool
HyperGraph – Engineering plotter and data analysis tool
HyperView Player - Viewer for visualizing 3-D CAE results via the Internet or desktop
Collaboration Tools - A solution that organizes, manages, and stores CAE and test data throughout the simulation life cycle. The Collaboration Tools are a part of the HyperWorks Enterprise Solution
The full HyperWorks HTML documentation provides a thorough, searchable resource to find detailed information about HyperWorks, including an extensive set of tutorials. We deliberately did not delete the information about the HyperWorks applications excluded from the Student Edition from the Help Menu. Hence, there is a lot more information available as really needed. However, you may be interested to learn more about HyperWorks, also because universities always license a regular version (i.e. all applications included without any limitation on model size …
The database of the student edition (HyperMesh binary file; Radioss bulk and OptiStruct ASCII file) IS compatible with the regular version
• The “HyperWorks For Student Edition” may NOT be used for commercial purpose
• Support is excluded
• Model size is limited to 10.000 nodes
• Supported CAD formats
o Import: IGES, SolidWorks and STEP
• Supported FEM formats
o Import / export: RADIOSS (bulk), and OptiStruct (=Nastran format)
• The FEM analysis using RADIOSS and optimization with OptiStruct may only be started from within the HyperMesh Interface
• The student edition is only available in ftp format (located in the Altair Online Store); no DVD medium is available; no service updates
• Platforms: Windows 32-bit (WinXP, Vista 32, Windows 7)
• The student version is node locked. Please note that per student ID one license can be requested
• Lease licence (12 months)
• License fees (as a reference):
o America 70 US$; Europe 50 €
Other regions are listed in the Altair Online Store (see below)
License file and software can be requested from the Altair Online Store. In the Altair Online Store you need to provide your name, university address, university E-mail address etc. Once your local Altair university representative has approved your application, you will receive an E-Mail containing the download path to the software and the license file. The Online Store sales process is described in here.
Extended Release Offer!
The feedback regarding the release of the Student Edition along with the special release offer was overwhelming. Thus, we decided to allow even more free downloads for a temporary period of time.
If you have missed to download your free copy of the Student Edition yet, just make use of the coupon code (redemption code) named FREE_EDU_ALL in the Altair Online Store. You will need to enter the coupon code during the checkout process there.
Please mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a post in the Academic Blog.
The HyperWorks 11.0 Student Edition is an important and highly appreciated add-on to the HyperWorks suite which I use for teaching. My students can now use a commercial CAE software in any place, which provides a great deal of flexibility to all of us.
Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Uwe Janoske, University of Wuppertal, Germany